Why Does Vaping Make Me Cough and How to Prevent It
Vaping, a widely embraced alternative to smoking, offers multiple advantages, such as aiding in tobacco cessation, saving money, and indulging in a diverse array of flavors. Nonetheless, many newcomers to vaping often encounter bouts of coughing during their initial experiences. This coughing can be not only bothersome and uncomfortable but even potentially embarrassing. Moreover, it may dissuade individuals from continuing their vaping journey or lead them to question its suitability for their needs.
The reasons behind this vaping-induced cough and methods to mitigate it are questions that frequently arise. Is it a common occurrence, or does it signal a more serious issue? In the following discussion, we will address these concerns and provide practical tips and suggestions on how to curb coughing while vaping or minimize its occurrence. Additionally, we'll introduce you to a selection of premium vaping products and accessories available at Gypsy Vapes, an online emporium renowned for offering top-tier vaping devices, high-quality e-liquids, and more, all at pocket-friendly prices.
- Coughing when vaping is a common issue that affects many vapers, especially beginners
- Coughing can be caused by various factors, such as PG/VG ratio, nicotine strength, inhaling technique, device settings, hydration, cilia regrowth, spit back, dry hits, flavor, menthol, wick, coil, and more.
- Coughing can be prevented or reduced by choosing the right e-liquid and device for your preference and needs, adjusting your inhaling technique and device settings, drinking enough water, coping with cilia regrowth, avoiding spit back and dry hits, finding your flavor and menthol sweet spot, and maintaining your wick and coil regularly.
- Gypsy Vapes offers a wide range of products and accessories that can help you stop coughing when vaping or make it more enjoyable and satisfying.
The Role of PG and VG in Vaping
One of the possible causes of coughing when vaping is the PG/VG ratio of your e-liquid. PG (propylene glycol) and VG (vegetable glycerin) are the two main ingredients of e-liquids that affect your vape's vapor production, flavor, and throat hit.
PG is a thin and transparent liquid that carries the flavor of your e-liquid and provides a strong throat hit. VG is a thick, sweet liquid that produces dense vapor clouds and hits a smooth throat. Most e-liquids combine PG and VG in different proportions to create different vaping experiences.
Some vapers may be allergic or sensitive to PG, which can cause coughing, irritation, dryness, or soreness in the throat. If you are one of them, choose an e-liquid with a high VG or low PG content. However, high VG e-liquids may not work well with some devices, especially those with small coils or wicks. They may also reduce the flavor intensity or cause gunk buildup on your ring.
Gypsy Vapes offers a variety of e-liquids with different PG/VG ratios for you to choose from. Some of the best e-liquids with high VG or low PG content are:
- Air Factory E-Liquid: A premium e-liquid brand that offers delicious candy flavors with a 70/30 VG/PG ratio
- Naked 100 E-Liquid: A famous e-liquid brand that offers natural fruit flavors with a 70/30 VG/PG ratio
- Vapetasia E-Liquid: A premium e-liquid brand that offers gourmet dessert flavors with a 70/30 VG/PG ratio
The Effect of Nicotine Strength on Coughing
Another possible cause of coughing when vaping is the nicotine strength of your e-liquid. Nicotine is a stimulant that affects the throat hit and the nicotine delivery of your vape.
Nicotine can provide a satisfying throat hit for some vapers, especially those who are used to smoking. However, nicotine can also cause coughing, irritation, or burning in the throat for others, especially those who are new to vaping or have a low nicotine tolerance. If you are one of them, you may want to choose an e-liquid with a quiet or zero nicotine content. However, keep in mind that low-nicotine e-liquids may not satisfy your nicotine cravings or help you quit smoking.
Gypsy Vapes offers a variety of disposable vape devices with 5% (50 mg/ml) nicotine strength:
- Airis Puff: A disposable vape device that comes pre-filled with 5.0mL of e-liquid with 5% (50 mg/mL)
- HQD Cuvie Air: A disposable vape device that comes pre-filled with 12mL of e-liquid with 5% (50 mg/mL)
- Fume Ultra: A disposable vape device that comes pre-filled with 8.0mL of e-liquid with 5% (50 mg/mL)
The Importance of Inhaling Technique and Device Settings
Another possible cause of coughing when vaping is the inhaling technique or the device settings that you use. The inhaling technique refers to how you draw the vapor into your mouth and lungs, while device settings refer to how you adjust your device's power, temperature, airflow, and resistance.
The inhaling technique can affect the vapor intake and sensation you experience when vaping. There are two main types of inhaling techniques: mouth-to-lung (MTL) and direct-to-lung (DTL). MTL is when you draw the vapor into your mouth first and then inhale it into your lungs, similar to smoking a cigarette. DTL is when you inhale the vapor directly into your lungs, similar to breathing air. MTL can provide a more intense flavor and throat hit, while DTL can provide more moisture and lung hit.
Device settings can affect the vapor quality and performance that you get from your device. Power refers to how much electricity is delivered to your coil, which determines how hot it gets and how much vapor it produces. Temperature refers to how hot your lock gets, determining how smooth or harsh your smoke is. Airflow refers to how much air passes through your device, determining how cool or warm your vapor is. Resistance refers to how much your coil opposes the electric current, which determines how fast it heats up and how much power it consumes.
Some vapers may cough due to improper inhaling techniques or device settings that do not match their preference or needs. If you are one of them, you may want to adjust your inhaling technique or device settings according to your liking. However, remember that different inhaling techniques and device settings may require different types of e-liquids and devices to work well together.
The Impact of Hydration and Cilia Regrowth on Coughing
Another possible cause of coughing when vaping is the hydration level of your body and the throat. Hydration refers to how much water you drink and how moist your throat is. Cilia regrowth refers to how your lungs heal and recover from smoking damage.
Vaping can dehydrate your body and throat, as PG and VG can draw moisture from your cells. Dehydration can cause coughing, dryness, irritation, or sore throat. It can also affect your overall health and well-being. Therefore, it is essential to drink enough water when vaping, especially if you vape frequently or use high-PG e-liquids.
Smoking can potentially harm the cilia in your lungs; these are minute, hair-like structures that play a crucial role in purging toxins and mucus from your respiratory system. Vaping, on the other hand, can facilitate the regeneration of your cilia and restore their proper function. This is because vaping doesn't contain tar or other detrimental chemicals that are typically found in traditional smoking. Nevertheless, cilia regrowth can result in occasional coughing as your lungs expel the previously trapped toxins and mucus. Recognizing that this coughing is a natural and transient phase signifying your lungs' healing and overall improvement is essential.
Gypsy Vapes offers a variety of products and accessories that can help you stay hydrated and cope with cilia regrowth. Some of the best products and accessories are:
- Water Bottle: A reusable water bottle that can hold up to 500 ml of water and keep it cold or hot for hours
- Menthol E-Liquid: A refreshing e-liquid that can soothe your throat and enhance your flavor with an excellent and minty sensation
- Cough Drops: A pack of cough drops that can relieve your cough and sore throat with natural ingredients such as honey, lemon, or eucalyptus
The Prevention of Spitback and Dry Hits on Coughing
Another possible cause of coughing when vaping is the spit back or dry hits that you may encounter when vaping. Spitback is when the e-liquid pops or spits out of your device and into your mouth or throat. Dry hits are when the wick or coil of your device runs out of e-liquid and burns, producing a harsh and unpleasant vapor.
Spitback may manifest when there's an excess of e-liquid, resulting in an overflow, flooding, or excessive heating within your vaping device. This can lead to coughing, irritation, or a burning sensation in your mouth or throat. Furthermore, it can negatively impact the flavor and vapor quality of your vaping experience.
Conversely, dry hits may occur if your e-liquid level is insufficient or depleted or your device's wicking is poorly executed. Dry hits can also cause coughing, irritation, or a burning sensation in your mouth or throat, potentially harming your appliance or coil.
The Influence of Flavor and Menthol on Coughing
Another possible cause of coughing when vaping is the flavor or menthol level of your e-liquid. Flavor refers to how your e-liquid tastes and smells, while menthol refers to how your e-liquid feels and cools in your throat.
Flavor and menthol can affect the enjoyment and satisfaction that you get from vaping. They can also affect the throat hit and the sensation that you experience when vaping. However, flavor and menthol can also cause coughing, as some vapers may be sensitive or allergic to some flavorings or menthol additives. Some vapers may also prefer more or less flavor or menthol than others.
Gypsy Vapes offers a variety of e-liquids with different flavors or menthol levels for you to choose from. Some of the best e-liquids with different flavors or menthol levels are:
- Naked 100 E-Liquid: A famous e-liquid brand that offers natural fruit flavors with or without menthol, such as Hawaiian POG, Lava Flow, Brain Freeze, or Very Cool
- Vapetasia E-Liquid: A premium e-liquid brand that offers gourmet dessert flavors with or without menthol, such as Killer Kustard, Rainbow Road, Blackberry Lemonade, or Pink Lemonade
- Air Factory E-Liquid: A premium e-liquid brand that offers delicious candy flavors with or without menthols, such as Blue Razz, Mystery, Berry Rush, or Melon Lush